Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Wildflowers and Butterflies
These photographs were taken yesterday on our farm on either side of our driveway and adjacent to our hay meadow. The top photo is of what I believe to be a viceroy butterfly on scarlet clover. Scarlet clover is very prolific here, growing along the roadsides. Ours is almost two feet tall.
Beyond the clover are the Texas bluebonnets. They are plentiful this year, due to our spring rains. A two-inch rain a couple weeks ago caused the grass to grow so high it is practically hiding the bluebonnets. The 'bonnets will be gone in another week or so. I've enjoyed them so much this year.
This zebra swallowtail fluttered his wings so rapidly I had a hard time getting a good photo of him. He allowed me to get very close however. It was like he was saying, "Get as close as you want. You still won't get a good picture. Ha, ha, ha!" He was more interested in the dandelion blossoms than he was the bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush, and scarlet clover, all only partially visible in the shallow depth of field.
Thanks to TexWis Girl we have Indian paintbrush this year for the first time ever. She sent us seeds last fall when I mentioned I could not find any for sale on the Internet due to the drought. We've been blessed with maybe up to 30 plants on either side of the driveway (even though we only sowed them on one side!). Thank you, dear friend. My mother is so proud of them. She counts them every day!
For any of you who do not follow my OTHER BLOG (I'm one of those people who just need two!) there are some closeups of the bluebonnets you can see by clicking HERE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





13 comments:
I am one of those people who need multiple blogs too. Why did I do that to myself? I love the wildflower look. Out meadows never look so pretty.
I love that second butterfly you captured
it's almost black and white
the flowers are amazing
Gorgeous Kathy! I'd love to have a wildflower garden but I don't get enough sun in most parts of the garden now for them to do really well. Shade has set in:) My favorite part to the colorful wildflowers are also the colorful visitors that stop by to visit:) Thanks for sharing. Chris
i am SO glad they took for you!!! SO happy to make you and your mom smile! :)
your clover are wonderful! your whole area is beautiful!
How delightful, Kathy! Love all the shots in this series.
You may like to post up on my Floral Friday Fotos meme:
http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/
Lovely! Your Spring looks beautiful this year and you captured it wonderfully.
The perfect picture of Spring! Gorgeous color!
So lovely! We just don't get those types of vibrant colors here in the spring. Love those butterflies too.
Gorgeous series, Kathy!
I'm glad I thought to check and see if I had missed any of your posts when I was "out sick" :) What beautiful pictures and such a riot of color along your driveway. I'm so glad your mom is pleased with the flowers.
Beautiful mixture of wildflowers!
wow! just WOW!
Oh my, WOW!! All gorgeous captures Kathy but the first shot is my favourite!
Post a Comment