Friday, March 16, 2012

Is Rural America Dying?


This old store is located in the small community of Melrose, Texas, east of Nacogdoches.  It looks like it may have been scorched in a fire.

For some strange reason I'm drawn to these forlorn, abandoned, dilapidated remnants of what was once  rural life in America, I suppose because they represent a dying era that will go the way of the Pontiac,  affordable health care, and safe neighborhoods where children can ride their bikes home from school!

12 comments:

Bek said...

Definitely an interesting place to photograph!

SRQ said...

Such a sad sight. I love when I encounters old stores like this which are still operational. You're right...they're a thing of the past.

Suburban Girl said...

Sad, I love rural America and dislike urban America. But the old rural areas do make for great photos.

Rohrerbot said...

I know. I think about this as well. So many changes over our lifetimes. Who worked here? What did they sell? What was it like? It's a beautiful shot.

TexWisGirl said...

a simpler time, for sure.

Glenda said...

So sad to see rural America slipping away. I plan to hold on to her as long as I can! You've captured poignant glimpses - including this photo.

Magpie said...

I knew when I saw the title of this post that it was going to be a good one. I hope rural America hangs in there for years to come.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Kathy... I am too. For me it is a feeling of safety and innocence, what was, not what is. I don't like a lot of what is...

GypsyFarmGirl said...

This reminds me of the store at the end of the road where I grew up. Its long gone now, but I remember getting to take a tour of it when I was little. We still refer to the old store as a landmark for giving directions, yet the newcomers have no idea what we are referring to.

EG CameraGirl said...

You do find so many wonderful old stores! Picturesque!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

It is very melancholy, but it does make for a wonderful picture.

Everything Changes said...

It looks so familiar to me--from a long time ago, of course!