Texas, as a slave state (sad to say), was aligned with the Confederacy and seceded from the United States in 1861. Thousands of Texans lost their lives in America's Civil War (ironically, almost twice as many Union and Confederate soldiers died from disease rather than battle during the war), and many Texas courthouses have erected monuments to military heroes, including those who died in that conflict. Many soldiers served to preserve their homeland, not to preserve slavery. This monument to the Texas Confederate soldier was erected in the Oakwood Cemetery in Tyler, Texas, in 1907. I find it quite interesting that the soldier depicted seems to be a mature, if not middle-aged, gentleman. Many of the courthouse statues I've seen portray boys the age of 14 or 15 years old!
In the past few months I have been reading John Jakes' trilogy regarding the Civil War: North and South, Love and War, Heaven and Hell. The three books combined are almost 3,000 pages and I am within 300 pages of finishing the last one. Although a novel, the books are highly researched and provide a very good learning experience of what happened to America during the Civil War and its aftermath. I highly recommend them for those who like historical novels.
LINKING TO TAPHOPHILE TRAGICS


12 comments:
No doubt a lot of them would have been young boys.
I read those books many years ago. I found them a little tough going, but well worth the effort.
I have read them and enjoyed them too. I am just reading again The Life of Abraham Lincoln and it is filled with the same history through his eyes and life.
After I was hacked I had to give up my old user name and the blogs that went with it. My Birds Blog was among the give-ups.
So this is the new birds blog and I hope you can come visit. Birds Birds Birds and Birds
I love your perspective here, the sky is a wonderful background for the statue
love the blue sky and the moon beyond...
See how you notice the details of things. That's wonderful. The age of the solider depicted...it's good to see the details. What a BIG read that series was. I'm so glad you're enjoying them.
3000 pages of history!
im not sure i could read that. actually its been too long since i read anything but time magazine...
War is awful, but civil war even more horrific...
It is always good to see the war dead remembered, it may help to prevent repetition of the same series of events in the future?
That moon adds just the right balance to your photo.
That moon adds just the right balance to your photo.
I agree with other commenters re the perspective of your photograph, the angle, the blue of the sky and the moon over his shoulder.
I have heard of the trilogy, but fear it is something for someone of my concentration span would baulk at. I wish you God's speed for the last 300 pages.
i remember Ken Burns' series about the Civil War with much affection, and must hunt out a private copy of same.
Thank you for another fine contribution to Taphophile Tragics, Kathy. Much appreciated.
LOVE that photo...its perfectly composed...OH If only I had the time I would enjoy reading the book....put it on the bucket list eh?
Post a Comment