Located just north of what is now Main Street in the heart of town is the Old Nacogdoches University Building. Chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1845, it opened its doors in 1859 as the first nonsectarian university in Texas. Of Greek Revival architecture made popular in the US in the 1800s, it is one of three oldest school buildings in the state. Today it is home to a museum dedicated to education in Texas during the 19th century and items from a Confederate hospital, which was housed in the structure during the Civil War.
Note: Nacogdoches is recognized as the oldest town in Texas and has historical markers on practically every corner, even some in between!
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Wonderful capture, Kathy. Your photo really brings out the character and history of this building.
pretty! love the fence in front, too. :)
Love those big columns - which seem to symbolize timeless strength.
I love your dedication to the past. You capture lots of great buildings and then give us a little background. I enjoy reading the story behind the pic. I'm going to get that permission slip form from the group. I had forgotten that I handed them all back. HOWEVER, with that said, I may have kept one of the slips and put it with my portfolio somewhere....just know that I'll email you it once I have it:)
A beauty! Nice to see it's still standing.
With so much history, I wouldn't be surprised to find some ghosties in this lovely building. :)
Great photo! I love the brick against the blue sky.
Post a Comment