Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ginocchio Home ~ Marshall, Texas


Italian-American business leader Charles Ginocchio (1844-98) and wife Roxana settled in Marshall, Texas, in 1871 and built this home in 1886. The Ginocchios operated the Ginocchio Hotel which was just down the street from their home.  The hotel was next to the railroad station and Marshall was therefore a hub of activity in East Texas both before and after the Civil War.  You can still catch the Texas Eagle, in Marshall, Amtrak passenger service traveling daily between Chicago and San Antonio, taking you through Austin and Dallas.  Connecting service between San Antonio and Los Angeles is available three times a week via the Sunset Limited.  A study is currently being made as to the viability of adding a spur between Marshall and Shreveport, Louisiana, to help ease what is expected to be congested automobile traffic between Shreveport and Dallas in the years to come.

13 comments:

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Always like a good HDR

biebkriebels said...

Beautiful photo, I like the light of it and the house of course, could live there.

Magpie said...

I love those little windows at the very top. And see how they were so smart to put a second smaller porch on the side. I wish they still were as thoughtful when they designed houses today.

Rohrerbot said...

Lots of great stuff here. The composition of the picture is great. Detailed bricks. Dotted cloudy skies. Now if I could only live in a place like that:)

Glenda said...

Love all the angles and the grandeur!

Glenda said...

Love all the angles and the grandeur!

Everything Changes said...

Great shot. I want to live there.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Great capture, Kathy. I bet the inside of the home is stunning also!

Anonymous said...

The Ginocchios of Marshall are not to be confused with the Pinocchios of Tyler.

Anonymous said...

lovely blog

yacht renting in dubai

SRQ said...

Beautiful home. Love that roof. And, that's a delightful blue sky, Kathy.

A Colorful World said...

It's a lovely home! I really enjoyed seeing it and reading the information about the house and the railroad line! Hope you will have a great week!

EG CameraGirl said...

A stately old home this is.