Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Guardian Angel


City Cemetery
San Augustine, Texas



Columbus Cartwright (1837-1901), his wife Sallie Lane Cartwright, and their son Clinton Cartwright are buried beneath the Angel in the San Augustine City Cemetery.


Columbus was born in San Augustine August 23, 1837.  His father, Matthew Cartwright, at the time of his death in 1870 was one of the largest landowners in Texas. He had acquired extensive land holdings by riding horseback throughout the settled portions of the state. He owned a horse he claimed to have ridden over 20,000 miles. Others claimed he could spend the night anywhere in Texas and sleep on his own land.

After serving in the Civil War Columbus returned to San Augustine, and because of his family’s vast land empire, he spent the rest of his career in real estate. A tall, slender man, he loved horses and was a respected horse breeder. He has 16 descendents buried in the cemetery.

In 1897 he deeded an entire block within the City of San Augustine to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. This land gift contained one dominant provision—that a certain portion of the premises be set apart for hitching horses and standing room for buggies. To this day, on the southwest corner of the block, a 15-foot hitching rack is available to all who might come by horseback or by buggy.

The angel was placed in the City Cemetery in 1898 prior to Columbus’ death. At the same time an identical angel was placed over the grave of his father, Matthew Cartwright, who died in 1870, in Terrell, Texas, which is near Dallas.  In 1943 the angel’s wing was broken when a tornado ripped through the town.  The broken wing section was preserved through the years and was repaired in 1992.  The obvious fracture is visual in the photograph.  I first photographed this beautiful angel three years ago and she was covered with mold, soot, and lichen.  I was pleasantly surprised upon my return to San Augustine recently to find that she has been cleaned and is now sparkling white.

LINKING TO TAPHOPHILE TRAGICS

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful statue and I love the history. Thank you for sharing, Kathy. :)

TexWisGirl said...

definitely some history i hadn't heard before. :)

SeaThreePeeO said...

Such and intetresting post and a beautiful angel. I too amd glad she has been repaired and cleaned.

Herding Cats


http://seathreepeeo.blogspot.com

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Great post, Kathy, both image and words!

Anonymous said...

Just lovely. I saw a quote the other day that read, "Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."

Owen said...

Good to see that someone is taking care of her, between setting the broken wing, and a thorough cleaning, one could almost wonder if it wasn't a case of divine intervention...

Julie said...

I am glad you commented upon the wing. So much that is damaged in cemeteries is not put to right. It pleases me that there is a guardian angel looking over this statue.

I would love to have seen both statues side-by-side. What I like about this statue, is the angle of the leg lifted to allow her to write, and yet she maintains such a straight back. Obsiously has 20/20 vision.

16 descendants buried in the same cemetery. That is something to celebrate in one's family history, I should think.

Thank you for this post, Kathy. It is great to have you aboard Taphophile Tragics each week.

hamilton said...

It seems to have taken a long time to repair the broken wing - but it looks worth the wait.

Magpie said...

I'm glad that her wing has been repaired. We have really boring cemeteries here.

SRQ said...

Beautiful! So nice this angel is being well cared for. (I'd be curious to see a before and after shot, with regard to her being cleaned.)

CaT said...

but what is the angel writing?
very pretty indeed!

Glenda said...

Beautiful angel - even with her broken wing. I'm glad someone repaired and cleaned her. I think it shows respect for the deceased.