Monday, March 26, 2012

In Search of a Pink Dogwood

 About ten days ago the dogwood trees started blooming here in East Texas.  I intended to get out and take some photos but then I got really busy for about five days and didn't get out when I should have.  With the early spring warmth, the dogwoods, much like the other flowering trees, leafed out much sooner than usual and the blossoms faded rapidly.  By Sunday it was difficult to find any trees blooming along country roads or in our nearby woods.  I ventured on into Nacogdoches on some errands and drove by a residential neighborhood which is known to have beautiful azaleas and dogwoods this time of year.  I've always wanted to take a picture of a pink dogwood but, not being found in the wild, they are always on personal property and people are pretty picky about trespassers here.  I passed one nice home that had a small still lovely pink dogwood right next to the street.  I went to the door and the homeowner gave me permission to photograph the beautiful pink dogwood.
 

I was a little disappointed in the closeups.  They show that the pink dogwood is really a white dogwood with dark pink or light red veins in the petals.  They therefore are much prettier from a distance than they are up close, at least in my opinion.


I put a slight sepia tone on this photo.  I like looking at the dogwood from the bottom up toward the sky.

So now that I've had the opportunity to see the pink dogwood up close and personal, I think I like the white ones better.  Tomorrow I'll show you some of the ones I managed to find.

11 comments:

Martha Z said...

I don't have a pink dogwood but I do have a white one. I guess I have never seen the pink up close, I didn't realize that it was mostly the veining that is pink.
The bracts on mine are still quite small but it should be in full bloom soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Suburban Girl said...

Love the textures on the petals.

TexWisGirl said...

i really don't see many of these gorgeous trees here! or maybe they are the pure white ones along the road - but still rather rare. :)

Amy Burzese said...

They are still so pretty up close and from a distance. Thanks for sharing them.

Glenda said...

Oh, I'm jealous! Pink dogwoods are so pretty - one of my favorite spring blooms. We drove through the backwoods - or what's left of a woods after clear cutting - yesterday looking for dogwoods and pink honeysuckle. Once the place was dotted with dogwoods, but we saw just a few spindly trees and only one pink honeysuckle bush. :(

Magpie said...

A unique beauty all its own. There is a story that goes with the dogwood blossoms isn't there? It has to do with Easter I believe.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Can't decide which shot I most like.

Nancy said...

So beautiful and so special this time of year...We have lots of them here in NC....

Rohrerbot said...

Gorgeous!!! Nice work. I'd love to sit under one of these guys:) As for trespassing:)...well, I figure if they put these beauties in their landscape, they want you to notice:) Not that I'd step on their property....but I might walk the line! In fact, there is a post I keep putting off because I'm afraid I'll get shot on my walk around the neighborhood. We have some beautiful homes in my neighborhood with lots of blooming plants. I want to use my camera on my walk but I'm a bit afraid:) I've been sitting on this post for about 2 months now. Originally I had it scheduled for April....now I've moved it back to May. However I will complete the challenge:)

EG CameraGirl said...

So gorgeous! I like both the pink and white dogwoods.

Suburban Girl said...

Very pretty. Our's haven't started yet, but any day now I expect to see some.