Saturday, March 17, 2012

Metal Coke Sign in Spanish

 And maybe you're wondering where in the world did I find this wonderful old metal Coca-Cola sign in Spanish (or could it be Portugese? Tell me if you know).  And the answer is at the Mercado de Uco, a

reproduction of a South American mercado at the -- drum roll, please! -- Phoenix Zoo!  One of the many trails through the zoo is the Forest of Uco, a lush rainforest landscape that surrounds visitors along a one-mile walking trail and also includes reproduction of a South American scientific expedition and ruins and highlights several tropical animals, including the South American macaws and the Andean Bear -- which I unfortunately did not see, presumably because they were in their quarters taking a nap!



The Phoenix Zoo is the largest nonprofit zoo in the United States.  The zoo has been conservation-minded from its inception in 1962. Soon after it opened it hosted what was thought to be the last few Arabian oryx,  which formed the basis of the world herd created for Operation Oryx and eventually allowed the reintroduction of the species into the wild.

(What's with blogger throwing in all these extra line spaces?  I've corrected it three times and it continues to occur.  So I give up!)

14 comments:

Dianne said...

blogger loves to put in its own lines :)
sometimes I close the post and go back in, sometimes I just give up

the sign is fantastic!!
with each of your posts I want to visit Phoenix more and more

SRQ said...

Wow - great rusty old sign. Regarding Blogger's extra lines: Do you write in HTML or Compose? I've noticed in HTML it will add one extra line occasionally. So, I preview the post, then, if necessary, I go back and delete the extra line.

EG CameraGirl said...

Love the old sign. I do believe Southerners drink a LOT of Coke. :)

Spanish - it means "refreshing to ya!"

Birdman said...

Is this an old gas station. Looks it.

TexWisGirl said...

that zoo exhibit sounds really cool. i've enjoyed all the photos you share from that zoo. :)

Virginia said...

WEll and I thought you'd headed off to some great place for a vacation in Spain or Portuagal! :)

I'm glad this zoo is doing so well. Ours is declining in so many ways.
V

CameraCruise said...

Great old sign.
I've the same problem with the extra line spaces.
Have a wonderful day.
Mette

Magpie said...

You find the most interesting things in the most interesting places. :)

Anonymous said...

This sign is right up your alley, Kathy!

Unknown said...

It's Spanish, Kathy. In Portuguese it would be 'Refresca-te já' and it means 'Refresh yourself now!' :-) Great find.

Rohrerbot said...

It's Spanish....and you should "Refresh yourself Now Girl!" Well I added the "Girl" part in:) I didn't know that bit about the oryx...very cool. Hope you're enjoying a nice Sunday.

T. Becque said...

Love that it's in Spanish, gives it an unique twist!

Lisa Gordon said...

What a find!
I love this!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

It's great to find these "trails" that take you far away in your own backyard, so to speak!