Monday, March 5, 2012
Aunt Ruth's Barn
As a child, and even as an adult, I loved going to visit my Aunt Ruth, who lived but just a couple of miles from us. She always had a good pie in the kitchen, a soft, loving voice, and plenty of time to visit. After returning to Texas last year I happened to notice one day that someone was at Aunt Ruth's place and the gate was unlocked. I drove down the road to the house and found my cousin, one of her two surviving children (Aunt Ruth has been gone about 20 years now). We had a nice visit, the first in about 40 years, and I told him how much I'd like to come back and photograph Aunt Ruth's old barn. He told me I'd better hurry because he had plans to tear it down. After all, it was just hanging by a haystring anyway and the tin patching was also beginning to look a little frail. The next weekend I returned and took many pictures. I haven't been back but I assume it's gone by now. I'm glad I got to see it one more time. I love the vine covering the exterior and the natural air conditioning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


32 comments:
wow, what a great memory ... thank you for being so kind to share with us. that is such a sweet barn ... means a lot to you i'm sure. very rustic & great charm. (:
How neat to reconnect with your cousin. Do you think you will keep in touch, or has too much time gone by?
The barn is certainly picturesque from a photographers point of view.
I'm glad you got a shot of this before it was taken down. Nice shot!
You are fortunate to get to photograph a family barn. I like its rusty patches - and the vines that give a little "life" to the place.
it was really hanging on by a thread... neat that you reconnected with your cousin...
Now you have a photo to go with your story :)
I like the vine as well on that structure. You know? It seems to be a theme today. A snowstorm in Wisconsin knocked down the old barn of my brother in law's grandparents and he was a bit sad. I usually have an artist draw up an older pic or the last shot before it is removed as a memory. I like your story with this photo....very touching.
Lovely story and photo. It's good that you stopped by before it got torn down and were able to get photos. It doesn't look like it would have lasted too much longer on its own.
perfect timing...i'm glad you were able to get pictures of this great old barn...can you imagine how sad you would have been if you had gone there after the fact?
Good timing on your part. You got to visit with a long lost relative and capture a memory.
This photo surely brings a lot of memory. I can only imagine the time when you were young, playing around here smelling the pie in the kitchen your Aunt Ruth smile, that make my hair stand here, such a very good memory that I am teary eyed. ^_^
Blue Charm
I agree - perfect timing. For the chance encounter and for the barn photos. I could look at this photo for hours. Let us know what is there now - just bushes???
The name Aunt Ruth invokes all kind of warm, homey feelings and it sounds like she fit the bill. Glad you got to photograph the memories.
vivid colors! And I love "natural air conditioning" too =)
Love the vine! I'm so glad you got to take pictures before they tore it down!
Very good photo.
Regards and best wishes
I'm so glad you were able to see the barn and photograph it before it is torn down. Sweet story to go along with your great photo.
Such sweet memories! Love the vine covering the exterior, the tin patching and the natural air conditioning. The image of Aunt Ruth's barn will survive for many more years because of your beautiful photo(s).
oh, I love it, too...love how the vine grows up on one side and bushes at the other corner.
So glad you preserved the memories. Aunt Ruth sounds lovely.
Yes, the green vine adds quite a bit of charm to this barn. I wonder if your cousin really tore it down...or if he's still waiting for nature to take its course.
I love this old barn with the vines growing on the side. I'm glad you got a picture before it was torn down. Great photo and story to go with it.
So good that you've captured it and shared it with us... it is such a sweet one... makes me want to peek inside...
Very charming, indeed! Such a pretty setting, and that vine is beautiful <3
What a stroke of luck to see your cousin and get a shot of the barn before it was just a memory. :)
Isn't it funny how these stories work out... I hear so many barn stories where it's about to be torn down, but it's always put on hold for a photographer to shoot it one last time! I love it! The vine adds character to it, too.
Thanks so much for sharing this story w/ all of us Barn Charmers! =)
Delightful shot!
Glad you got back in time!
Great shot--even better with warm memories!
Wonderful! Love that vine covering the wall.
Glad you got to photograph it, Kathy! I love the vines growing on it!
It's nice that old buildings are captured forever in photos. Wonderful shot.
Post a Comment