Friday, September 14, 2012

Fred Hartman Bridge


I have to apologize for getting carried away with the photographs of this beautiful cable-stayed bridge.  Luckily I was a passenger and was able to get this progression of photos as we approached and traveled through this beauty.


On approach the bridge appears to be constructed of golden arches.  As you can see below, however, the cables are encased in yellow tubes.


Named for Fred Hartman, the editor and publisher of the Baytown Sun from 1950 to 1974, it is the longest cable-stayed bridge in Texas - 2.6 miles - and is built over the Houston Ship Channel between Baytown and LaPorte, Texas.




The bridge replaced the Baytown Tunnel which had to be removed when the ship channel was enlarged to accommodate larger ships.



Those dramatic clouds certainly enhanced the photos of this wonder.


I think to be able to get some photos of a side view of the bridge might just require another trip to Galveston!

10 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Now that is one cool bridge!

TexWisGirl said...

this is an awesome series! glad you showed the progression as the individual cables sure look different than the 'arches/peaks' first presented. GREAT clouds!

Gail Dixon said...

Wow, impressive! I like how you showed the progression from far away then closer and closer to show the actual cables. It does look like arches from a distance. This is one of the coolest bridges I've ever seen!

Inger said...

You have no idea of what is to come when you when you see the first picture. I love things like this and I'm so glad you made it into a series of photos.

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful shots of this bridge, Kathy! It's such an impressive one! Yes, it was a cooler on the Mogollon Rim and we really appreciated getting a break from the awful heat here. Our kids don't have air conditioning (just a swamp cooler) and they've been misearable....last summer when we stayed with them before we found our own place, it was really hard on us. We "older" folks need that air conditioning when it gets so HOT here! :-) But now things are cooling off. In the 80s mostly, though I think today was in the 90s. Have a wonderful week!

Rohrerbot said...

Those clouds are beautiful. They make a nice backdrop behind the bridge. And the whole shot is "visually exciting" or "dramatic". Either way, nicely done:)

Magpie said...

What an amazing bridge and I think I would have been taking at least that many pictures and more. It would be a little freaky to be on a bridge for 2.6 miles...no where to go when Godzilla attacks!

EG CameraGirl said...

Super lines and light!

Brenda's Arizona said...

I mimic Amy - that is one cool bridge! Thanks for sharing it with us - I love learning from your blog.

Everything Changes said...

Great lines, and the clouds are awesome!