Sunday, September 9, 2012

Denton County National Bank


Denton, Texas

On my recent three-day road trip through Central Texas I was amazed at the number of old beautiful bank buildings I encountered.  I had seen a few in the past but on this particular trip I became aware of the plethora of these wonderful structures, most of which were built between the late 1880s and the early part of the 20th Century.  So without further ado, I present now, and in the future to come, some of these beauties.

NOTE:  I just finished a relatively new historical book concerning Bonnie and Clyde, Texas' contribution to 1930s gangsters.  I wondered how many of these banks were visited by this pair!

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

good question! i like how tall this structure is, with the 'widow's walk' look to the top, too.

Gail Dixon said...

I've been to Denton a few times and never saw this building. It really boasts beautiful architecture with those columns and the design along the roofline.

Rohrerbot said...

That's an interesting question. If those walls could talk:)

Anonymous said...

Banks used to look stately and strong...

Suburban Girl said...

That would be an interesting road trip. Photographing the banks of Bonnie and Clyde!

Magpie said...

I would feel like my money was safe in there...looks can be deceiving though. :)

A Colorful World said...

Yes, these massive bank buildings look not only beautiful but give one a feeling of permanence and strength, like a fortress (perhaps on purpose, to make people feel their money was safe?) How interesting I bet the Bonnie & Clyde book was! I read the first of a four-volume bio on Lyndon Johnson and boy was that fascinating...have the second volume in my stack ready to read.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh my goodness! I am now imagining Bonnie and Clyde fleeing through those doors!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Those old bank buildings have beautiful architecture.