Thursday, September 20, 2012

El Castile - Decatur, Texas


An ornate fence and gate blocks the entrance to El Castile in Decatur, Texas.

And what lurks beyond?



The Castle (El Castile), the home of cattle baron Dan Waggoner and headquarters to the vast Waggoner ranching empire in North Texas, was built in 1883.  It has sixteen rooms, a full basement, and eight fireplaces.  It is constructed of limestone and is decorated with wrought iron on the roof and balconies.  The entrance hall has a grand staircase of walnut and oak with Texas star motifs.  Interior doors, some with stained glass, are sixteen feet tall.  The house has a large dining room, eight bedrooms, five marble baths and a Texas-size kitchen with cooper sink and fixtures.  It was the model for the home in the movie "Giant."  It is currently privately owned and is not available for public viewing.  The house appears to be in fair condition but the grounds are overgrown and in need of much attention.

                                      Joining with fellow fence fanatics for Fridays Fences.

15 comments:

genie said...

I always think of these type of fences having a big ranch behind them and not a lovely old homeplace like this. It is sad the grounds are not being kept up. Hope the house does not fall into disrepair. genie

Carletta said...

Shades of Dark Shadows from fence to home!
It's easy to see how it must have looked in its glory days.
Lovely find Kathy!

TexWisGirl said...

a full basement?! i'm moving in! :)

it is almost creepy-ish.

Nature in the Burbs said...

Great photo selections. Such an intriguing-looking place.

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds like it must have been exquisite way back when. It deserves to be taken care of.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, such a gorgeous fence. i see a "tim burton" movie being filmed here. awesome architecture. (:

Jan n Jer said...

Wow...the entrance prepares you for pure Grandeur...I would love to tour that house!

Judy said...

I love the way the house and the fence are in the same sort of style! They belong together!!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Grand fence and house. I would love to get inside there.

Gail Dixon said...

You find the coolest photo opps on your road trips! Wish I could ride with you one day.

Magpie said...

How did you get past the fence? Or did you climb a tree paparazzi-style? What a beautiful home.

A Colorful World said...

Great fence and even greater house! I love that you told us about it! Giant is one of my favorites...At least this house isn't in the middle of a huge moonscape-style countryside like the one in the movie! :-)

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

Love the architecture on historic buildings. This one oddly enough reminds me of the mansion used in the Adam's Family show lol. Must be the iron fencing around the top.

Faye said...

Just enough of a view of the house from the other side of the fence to rouse your curiosity? A grand home with those--I think-unique wrought iron details. Are there more places like this in your area?

Suburban Girl said...

I love all that detail.