Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Scrambled Eggs


Scrambled Eggs (or sometimes called Butter and Eggs) is an heirloom double-flowered daffodil dating back at least as far as the 1700s.  Yesterday my mom and I went over to what we call the old home place on our farm where my grandparents'  house was located to check on the daffodils that remain in what used to be my grandmother's front yard.  The area is filled this time of the year with clumps of paperwhites, a few clumps of yellow jonquils, and lots of these Scrambled Eggs.  They are apparently somewhat rare today and much sought after it seems.  I fully intend to go back in the fall and dig some up for dividing and replanting.  We had a very late killing frost here which probably accounts for the brown marks on some of the petals.

7 comments:

Sharon Creech said...

Ooh, lovely, and with such a funny name.

Suburban Girl said...

Well that is one daffodil aptly named. Today I noticed our snow drops are up! What a welcome sight.

Glenda said...

I don't think I've ever seen a Scrambled Egg daffodil, but it's beautiful! Looking for them on your family's homeplace sounds like something I would enjoy.

You commented on my post that my yard must be beautiful, but I must say it's not so much. Those blooming trees are scattered around the yard and they are all fairly small. But I do enjoy what we have!

Magpie said...

What an unusual name, but very appropriate! Maybe some time you could smuggle some of those to Arizona...would love to have some too.

Lara said...

That name is hilarious and appropriate. Surprisingly, it is a very pretty flower!

Sarah Knight said...

Lovely shot!

tracy said...

Do you have any Omelets?