Wednesday, March 2, 2011
The Old North Church
The Old North Church in Nacogdoches, Texas, was originally known as the Union Church because several denominations joined together to worship as early as 1836. A small log church was completed in 1838 on 10 acres of land donated by Dr. John M. Sparks (many of Sparks' descendants are buried in the church cemetery). Currently known as the Old North Baptist Church, the present structure dates from 1852 and in its graveyard rest many of the leading Anglo-American settlers of Nacogdoches County. Tomorrow I hope to bring you a couple of pictures from the North Church Cemetery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
This is a beauty of a bw. This church looks almost exactly like the one my parents got married in in Mississippi.
This is a great shot. There is an Old North Church in the Boston Common/beacon Hill area of Boston.
Yes, this isn't the "one if by land, two if by sea" North Church, but is still a lovely church. I like that you chose black and white for this photo.
... and I bet it has a wonderful detail-laced history.
Funny, but when I saw the words }Old North Church" I thought of the Boston one. :)
That would fit perfectly into a Vermont setting. It is a beauty.
I really like this in B&W!
A classic.
Post a Comment