Saturday, March 12, 2011

24/100 Strangers ~ Vivian


When I lived in Phoenix I enjoyed going on Saturdays to the farmers market. I have now discovered the farmers market in Nacogdoches, and while not as large as some of the markets in Phoenix (remember, though, there is a slight population discrepancy – only about 30,000 residents of Nacogdoches compared to Phoenix which had an estimated population in October of 2010 by the City of Phoenix of 1.5 million), I found it just as much fun. So let me introduce you to Vivian.


Vivian is a self-admitted character. I think you can tell that from her face. She has an overflowing personality and is a vendor at the market. Vivian is a member of the Nacogdoches Art League and she now has me interested in watching for their annual show which should come along in early summer. She is an artist working in several media. Her display at the farmers market included crocheted baby caps and beautiful throws made from upholstery remnants. She also paints and her crafts are for sale at the Wildflower, a shop featuring the works of local artisans. In addition, she is a green girl, a recycler. The beret she wore today was crocheted from Kroger plastic grocery store bags! Don’t you think it’s stylish? You go, girl, Vivian, and thanks for being my No. 24 Stranger!

Oh, BTW, I think Vivian is my best Stranger yet!  I feel like I hit the jackpot!

16 comments:

T. Becque said...

That's a face with a lot of character and life. Nice #24!

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

A great portrait. I love the texture and colours in her hat. She does seem like a cheerful character that might have some interesting stories I think!

Sarah Knight said...

She does look like a character ; )

Gunn said...

A very nice portrait!

biebkriebels said...

It is an excellent portrait, what a woman.

Birdman said...

Viva Vivian!

bonifer said...

Nice capture Kathy!!

Cher' Shots said...

I believe you found a gem in Vivian! I love meeting people with character ~ they always have a good story to share. Thanks for sharing her.
'hugs from afar'

tracy said...

Lovely photo. She seems like an amazing woman.

EG CameraGirl said...

Great interview, Kathy. And it's amazing that her hat is made of crocheted grocery bags!

Stephani Cochran said...

What a wonderful face to photograph!

Suburban Girl said...

And I think you captured her vivacious personality.

SRQ said...

That's a really good one! You captured her well. Without you telling us, I would've guessed she's a character!

Magpie said...

She's a pip! You can just tell from the picture and the story you tell. Great find!

Lara said...

What a great stranger profile! I love her hat, too!

Thérèse said...

Not a stranger any more!