Wednesday, March 23, 2011
The Original Big Screen
If you grew up in the '50s and '60s you surely were familiar with drive-in theaters, unless your parents were extremely strict or you lived under a rock. The Redland still stands in Lufkin, Texas. The screen is still intact and the marquis stood until just a few years ago. The acreage behind the theater, which once handled a capacity of 1200 cars, is now used as a salvage yard. During a period of time after drive-ins lost their popularity it showed XXX movies! I never realized porn movies were shown at drive-ins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I always loved going to the drive-in. When we were small kids, my parents gave us our baths, put us in our pjs, popped some corn and off we headed. I always came home fast asleep.
PS: We didn't see any XXX movies! :O
Yup, in my hometown in Wis, our one drive-in became a XXX theatre too. I can't imagine how they hid the screen from passers-by...
We don't know the drive-in here, but it has always intriged me to watch a movie in your car.
Love the big screen! in the 70's, we lived near one and we could see the pics but couldn't hear
the voices, would have been fine for xxx movies, but they never showed any there either lol!!
There are a few drive ins operating today, but not many. Okay, who of you out there drank your first beer at a drive in theater?
Now that's a beauty! I can imagine the teen boys trying to peek in at the porn movies. :/ I didn't know either!
We still have two active drive-in theatres near here. In fact, one is in East Gwillimbury. I MUST take a photo to show you.
Wow...what a relic! I love all that rust. It's neat that it's still standing, but in a melancholy way. Ah, days gone by!
Post a Comment