Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Old North Church Cemetery


The Old North Church Cemetery is located on the southern and western sides of the Old North Church featured in yesterday's blog.  The oldest marked grave is that of Saletha Easter Whitaker in 1845, but oral tradition suggests that William Whitaker was already interred in a brick vault by the time Richard Sparks set aside land on this site for use as a community graveyard in 1838.  Dr. John Sparks in that same year deeded ten acres for the church site.  Burials of interest include those of veterans of the American Revolution (William Sparks, 1761-1848), the War of 1812, and the Texas Revolution.  Records indicate that some 47 Confederate soldiers are buried in the southern portion of the cemetery, and 21 Union soldiers are interred in unmarked graves.  Most of the Union veterans were victims of an epidemic of dysentery during the Reconstruction era.



Many family plots are partitioned with ornate ironwork.



I do not plan to have my body interred in the earth,
but if I did it would be under a pine tree.

5 comments:

tracy said...

Your photos make the place look haunting, and I see you found some rust!

Magpie said...

Yes, the rust!! Perfect. I bet this pine tree wasn't there when this person was buried. I love the style of arched entryway to the cemetery.

SRQ said...

Rust, moss, old tombstone and even a pine tree -- good stuff!

Suburban Girl said...

I love all the old style here.

TexWisGirl said...

Oh your blog is just wonderful! Will truly enjoy seeing these sights from now on!