Thursday, July 19, 2012

Rainforest at Moody Gardens


A visit to the Rainforest at Moody Gardens was to be the highlight of my trip.  It saddens me to say that I was extremely disappointed in this attraction.  It's billed as one of the largest rainforest exhibits featuring over 1,000 species of plants and animals from rainforests all over the world..  Perhaps with that kind of hype I just set my expectations way too high.  My first big disappointment was seeing only three butterflies in what was supposed to be a large butterfly enclosure.  Maybe it was just too hot for them, but if butterflies abound in rainforests in South America, they should fare equally well in the stifling, humid enviornment inside the Rainforest Pyramid.


I did have an opportunity to see scarlet ibis in the open rather than in wire enclosures.  I think there were three or four of these beautiful birds.


There were four Amazonian parrots.  My trip to tiny Caldwell Zoo in Tyler, Texas, proved much more worthwhile in the number of brilliant parrots on display.


I was able to photograph one lizard, but which species it is, I have no clue.  There was little information on the names of most of the species.


The plant life was very pretty, particularly the orchilds.  However, many of the orchids were simply varieties of phalaenopsis similar to the ones you can buy in almost any supermarket these days.


The other more exotic specimens also were not identified by type.

Perhaps I should have opted for the Aquarium Pyramid but I had seen an outstanding aquarium earlier this year on a trip to Arizona.

I won't bother to mention the rather high admission price, which would not have seemed so bad had it included the entire facility, but each venue is separately priced.  I do have to extend kuds for the free parking!

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sorry it was disappointing! 3 butterflies? we've seen 25 times that on any day here this spring!

Magpie said...

I may be duplicating my comment. Hope not. I know how hard it can be when we get our hopes up and then get let down. Your flower shots are all lovely and I don't need to know the names to appreciate them. :)
Isn't it funny the prices to these places don't reflect our down economy?

Rohrerbot said...

I'm so sorry about your visit. You did get some great shots and the building is quite impressive. I feel this way about the Biosphere here in Tucson. I've been there 3 times and each time I've been disappointed....and I don't even know why I feel that way. This place you speak of sounds impressive and interesting. However consider this. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the place for future reference. These little tips help when visiting places. If a person came to Tucson, I'd place several of the "main" attractions to the bottom of the list. Biosphere and Kartchner Caverns are both fantastic research places but there isn't much interaction on the tours and it's clear that they are only research centers. I like a little touch, smell and feel to the presentations that allow for some personal involvement.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

let down. boo hoo. but the ones you did take ... wow ... such bright colors. wow! i love all the colors. so lovely. the orchids, wow! i'm always amazed how folks can keep plants looking so beautiful. think of all the time & energy it does take. big hugs. (:

Amy Burzese said...

You got great photos, but too bad it was disappointing. Maybe today's economy has the place strapped.

Gail Dixon said...

Sorry you were disappointed! But I'm not. These are beautiful--especially that scarlet ibis. I do hate when my expectations fall short; maybe that's why I routinely keep them so low. :/ Hope you have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...it doesn't look like the trip was a total loss. Your pictures are outstanding! I love the scarlet ibis (or is it ibi?)

A Colorful World said...

Sorry the rainforest was a disappointment, but I LOVE the photos you took. Wonderful!

EG CameraGirl said...

The scarlet ibis is so...exotic! The orchids look so fresh and the colours are outstanding.

Suburban Girl said...

I have a hard time with the humidity in those rain forests!