Saturday, July 7, 2012
Lady Hummer
Since all the hummingbird sites I've looked at show only the ruby-throated hummingbird being located in East Texas, I must surmise that this is a female ruby-throated. I do know some of the females have a tinge of green feathers on their wings and back but this one just seems to be a freckled darling! I would love to think that we've been discovered by another variety of hummer, but I'm not putting much stock in that. If I'm wrong about her heritage, I'll bet Chris of Las Aventuras can let me know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
He/she is a sweetie (even though hummers are mean). Great shot!
all i see here are ruby-throats, too. i had thought we had black-chinned until the sun hits 'em. :)
OH! I thought for sure you had more varieties than we have here in Ontario! I'm quite surprised!
"Hey, take my picture, please."
What a great close-up, Kathy!
You have me laughing. I think I do what everyone else does on these little treks. Everytime I go out, I'll see a female and think...."Is this one different from the others?" And then I convince myself I've discovered a new species....only to discover afterwards, it's the Anna's or _______fill in the blank:) So the truth? She could be a scruffy Ruby Throat or Black Chinned:) I see that light color along the side of the wing but it's difficult to know with the wings closed. Females are tricky! These two particular females are trickier to tell apart. But after all is said and done, they're just plain ol' cool like the one you have in this pic:)
Juveniles and females make bird identification very difficult! But that's what makes birding so fun and challenging to me. Project Noah is a great site that might be helpful. I've had several in the nature community come to my aid when I was completely stumped.
Anyway! You got an outstanding shot of this beauty. Congrats on a perfectly focused and exposed image. Not easy to get in nature. :)
Great capture, Kathy. I don't think I've ever seen a hummingbird at rest. All the photos I've seen are flying birds!
Whatever she is, Kathy, she's beautiful. You really go up close and personal on this one.
Very different coloring than my hummers. Pretty!
Post a Comment