Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Galveston Island


On Sunday this week I traveled with a cousin down to the Gulf Coast where I reexperienced the lure of Galveston Island after an absence of over 30 years.  It was all I remembered and more since the population has grown tremendously since my last visit.

This iconic sculpture of a boy and seagulls is found at Pier 21 on the bay side of the island in front of the Elissa, a 3-masted, 19-sail barque sailing ship constructed in 1877.  Until a year ago she was one of the oldest sailing ships in the world until the U.S. Coast Guard at an inspection discovered massive rot in her hull.  The Texas Seaport Museum, her present owner, has hopes of raising the $3 million it is expected to cost to make her seaworthy once again.  I found it impossible to take a photo of the Elissa since she is moored at the wharf and is so large it's impossible to show her totally in a photo.  Maybe if she is restored I will have a chance to see her sailing away from the shore at a distance to appreciate her size.


This pier was across the street from our hotel.  In this area of the island the sand beach has been reinforced with granite blocks and boulders to help combat erosion of hurricanes Rita and Ike which came close to destroying the island in 2005 and 2008.


I loved photographing seagulls.


I almost tossed this picture because of the negative space and the poor composition.  
But after converting it to black and white I think it's now one of my favorites!

I'll be posting more pictures of Galveston in the coming days.

12 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

Kathy, I just wrote about negative space on my blog today! I love it, too! The shot of the pier is wonderful with all the dramatic clouds and deep blue waters. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Looking forward to more pics.

TexWisGirl said...

too funny - must be negative space photo day in blogland. that makes 3 of you that i've seen. :) you fancy photogs that know what you're doing and all...

glad you're having a good time / had a good time!

Rohrerbot said...

Only you can make seagulls look incredibly amazing:) I really like your seagull shots....well done. They look classy:) I've always wanted to go there and visit. Sounds like an interesting place.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i guess i have not clue about photography because i rather enjoy the last shot - i'm guessing you are speaking of. i love it!! it's cool & unlike the norm. such great views. (:

Birdman said...

Oh yes! It's my favorite of all these. I like the composition too.

Amy Burzese said...

Welcome back! I love the pier shot and the boy and the boat.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how marvelous! I never made it to Galveston in the 2 years I lived in Dallas though I wanted to so badly. Looking forward to more of these heavenly photos.

Magpie said...

Such a rich history you're going to have to share. I agree with seeing the ship sail again. What a sight that would be. I love your last photo too! There's something very sharp and crisp about it.

Suburban Girl said...

A love the combination of objects in the first photo. All the photos are wonderful though! I hope Elissa sails again.

T. Becque said...

I like the black and white, gives a sense of being in flight with them. And the pier is gorgeous!

A Colorful World said...

These are incredibly amazing photos! Wow! I hate to admit that we went to Galveston to the BEACH ONLY on only one occasion when we were living in TX those 5 1/2 years! I didn't see the amazing houses or museums, or the Elissa or the statue of the boy, and now I feel like I am such a bum for not making a more constructive trip! Anyway, your photo of the pier and the one of the seagulls with the ocean behind them are just incredible....but then, your shots are always so wonderful! Love visiting your blog so much!

Kristin_Texas said...

I am loving that pic of the gulls. My family is at Port Aransas right now and after seeing your pic... I wish I were there with them.

Kristin