Friday, July 20, 2012

Galveston Architecture


Galveston has some of the most beautiful Victorian architecture I've ever experienced.  And I only experienced a small segment of it.  The next time I go it will be a mansion/church tour.  Above is the Gothic Revival Eaton Memorial Chapel at Trinity Episcopal Church.  Construction began in 1879 and it was dedicated in 1882.


The Bishop's Palace is an imposing stone and steel structure build by railroad magnate Walter Gresham.  It is recognized as one of America's finest examples of Victorian exuberance and Gilded-Age extravagance.  Its sheer size can be appreciated by the perspective of the bride and her photographer approaching in the right-hand corner for wedding photographs.



Open Gates was the home of George and Magnolia Sealy and served as the party palace of Galveston society since the 1880s.  Today it serves the city as a business conference center.


Restored to its turn of the century splendor, the 28,000 square-foot, four-story Moody Mansion was completed in 1895. W. L. Moody, Jr., bought the home from the heirs of the original owners soon after the great hurricane of 1900.  The Moodys established one of the great American financial empires.  Based on cotton, it grew to include banking, ranching, insurance, and hotels.  The house remained home for the Moody family until 1986.  Today it is a museum, open for tours, and is available for private events.

17 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Gorgeous! The 3rd pic is my favorite....that pot on the corner of the roof is out of this world. Beautiful architecture!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous architecture! I'm in awe at the top shot. WOW!

TexWisGirl said...

really beautiful structures. amazing to think of how many hurricanes they've come through.

Everything Changes said...

These shots and structures are amazing. I'm glad that hurricane that gave them a direct hit didn't hurt these.

A Colorful World said...

Very impressive homes and so beautiful! Wow! Oh, I meant to tell you, I was spending a few months in CT once, working as a nanny caring for a baby boy, and on one of my off-days I went to the Audubon Center and took a leisurely walk through the grounds....I didn't see a SINGLE bird! :-) The gift shop was nice.

Kerri Farley said...

WOW! These are stunning!

Gail Dixon said...

I saw Moody Mansion on a visit to Galveston years ago and wondered what it was all about. Thanks for the tour of these beautiful structures.

Anonymous said...

Oh my - this looks even better than the Garden District in New Orleans!

EG CameraGirl said...

I LOVE the idea of a mansion/church tour! I want to go too. :)

Suburban Girl said...

I would like this place. The architecture is terrific.

Magpie said...

What amazing buildings! It is really breathtaking.

Indrani said...

Stunning architecture, hope they are preserved well.

Mersad said...

Wow Kathy, these look stunning!

Lisa said...

This is such a Beautiful place. I love it. Your photos of this took my breath away.

and I m so glad to see you stop. Thank you. :)

Kristin_Texas said...

That's the only reason I ever went to Galveston a few times. It was all about the historic homes. I've never done a tour though, and wish I had.

It's sad to think of how many gorgeous homes were destroyed in the 1900 Hurricane.

Kristin

Brenda's Arizona said...

What neat mansions!!!!

Kranky Granny said...

Being able to tour places like these would be my ideal way to spend my day.

With a maiden name of Knight I have been fixated on castles all my life and that Bishop's Palace would make my ideal castle in this modern world.