
Okay, all you smart blogger friends, I need your help. What is this and what was it used for? I found this interesting object while walking in an alleyway in downtown Flagstaff, Arizona. It was about three and a half feet from the ground, flush with the exterior of an old building. Its dimensions were approximately 24 by 18 (at least by my memory), and as you can see, it was hinged from the top. Although the bottom was immovable, I got the distinct impression that it would be pushed from the outside toward the inside rather than vice versa. It had been immobilized so I could not get the plate to move in either direction. I'm thinking maybe it was some type of kindling box for a wood stove (but it would seem more logical to have the hinges underneath the door rather than on top), and I have found online a Majestic brand of stoves, although I could not find any reference to any antique ones. Have any of you ever run across something like this in your background or your studies or travels? I'm hoping someone out there can solve the mystery.
13 comments:
yeah, my guess would have been coal chute.
No idea but a great picture.
I would also guess it to be a coal chute. :)
First off...fantastic pic. And I'm pretty sure it's a coal chute. Our house in Wisconsin has one which means that these places are cool older homes....not the cookie cutter varieties:)
Hmmm. Not sure, Kathy. I know some older homes in Toronto have doors similar to this where milkmen put eggs, butter and milk. But I don't know if there's a shelf on the other side of the door.
I've never seen a coal shoot...that I remember, anyway.
Kathy,
I just Googled "coal chute" and now I'm thinking it's a coal chute. :)
I agree...it probably was used for coal or something similar. Whatever it was...it was majestic. :)
or, it could be a 'clean out door'. We had one about that high on an exposed chimney in the back bedroom of our 1820s farmhouse. Open the door, clean out fallen soot, (or the occasional bird or squirrel that falls down the chimney and can't escape). Worked like a charm.
My vote is for coal chute. The coal truck would drive up and slide the order of coal down the chute into the basement (where the furnace would be). Saved a lot of time and labor.
Hmmmm, interesting. I was thinking a ash clean out, but I hadn't thought of a coal shoot.
I am voting for coal chute, even though I had never before heard of one!
Chute..I don't know what it is.
I am thinking it is an ash clean out also. I have a fancy Majestic iron sign that fit on a kitchen range (I believe) and I would be happy to send you a picture of it, it hangs on my kitchen wall just as an old antique thing. just let me know at letoile@arvig.net if you'd like to see it.
Jo in MN
Post a Comment