Day 2 of my trip found me in far West Texas and I took a quick cruise through Van Horn where I spotted this shell of an old building. It must have been something in its day with the arched windows and the intricate wrought iron fence dominated by two rows of five-pointed stars signifying the Lone Star of Texas.
The Hudspeth County Courthouse in Sierra Blanca, Texas, is the only working adobe courthouse in the state. The Mediterranean style architecture includes walls which are 18 inches thick. Built in 1919, it was effectively gutted and renovated in 2003.
Detail over the door of the Hudspeth County Courthouse.

5 comments:
How can a cruise through Van Horn be anything but quick? :-)
laughing at the comment above. :)
love the tile roof on that adobe too.
The first building looks almost oriental. :D Have a nice trip!
That's a beautiful wrought iron fence. What a shame the building has been left to crumble.
Both buildings are amazing. And this courthouse doesn't have any steps. I guess I just jumped the gun on my assumption. :)
Post a Comment