Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Back Doors No. 6 ~ San Augustine Alleyway
I've done a lot of walking around both in front of and behind buildings in small towns of East Texas, but by far this is my favorite alleyway. I first encountered it about a year ago during a visit. I returned to live here last December and it didn't take long for me to return to San Augustine. It is very old for Texas (the 1820s), has a historic marker about every 30 feet all through the town since it was one of the prime areas for the political fueling of the Texas revolution for independence from Mexico and then later for the establishment of the government of the Republic of Texas. I love the orange color of the water-stained plaster and the contrast of the sooty fire damage from who knows when ~ maybe as early as the 1890 fire which destroyed much of the downtown area. Isn't it interesting that I've never walked around front to see what kind of business this is today? Like I say, back doors are often more interesting than front ones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
Because back door more often show the real side of things. Front is always a facade people put up! :D
i like mersad's comment...
it is definitely weathered, worn, almost used-up looking. but it must be pretty tough.
Lembranças....
espetacular teu blog...
I'm guessing a lot has happened here over the years. I like the aged colour of the walls too. I do wonder what's out front.
Oh yeah, that's my kind of alley! :)
I think you are so right. THe back doors beckon those of use with a camera.
V
This is an awesome back door. I love that color on the walls and all the life and living that has gone on behind that wall.
All of the photos are really quite remarkable. Picturesque despite the disrepair, but perhaps that's why they are so photogenic.
I love the orange color too.
Great find! Back doors are so much more fun.
Some art quilters are reproducing interesting old buildings and this one would certainly qualify. I think Esterita Austin is one woman who is doing doors, windows, what have you. I hope I have her name right.
Jo in MN
Post a Comment