Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Stephen F. Austin ~ The Father of Texas


Stephen F. Austin
1783 - 1836
Memorial on the campus of Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, Texas

Born in Wythe County, Virginia, Stephen F. Austin, known as the Father of Texas, led the second but first legal and ultimately successful colonization of Texas  in 1821 by bringing 300 families from the United States after receiving an empresario contract from the Mexican government.  Austin played key roles in the fight for independence from Mexico and later in the government of the Republic of Texas.  Only nine months after Texas successfully won its independence, Austin caught cold and died of pneumonia.  His last words were, "The independence of Texas is recognized! Don't you see it in the papers?"  The state capitol is named for him, and I dare say that almost every town in the entire state has a street called Austin.

8 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

That is a unique statue. I like it. Thanks for sharing some history. I had no idea about Stephen Austin!

TexWisGirl said...

well, i bet the mexicans were sorry they let him into their territory in the first place! :)

Kate said...

An important man, no doubt. Strong stature for a strong man.

Mersad said...

Great statue. Love the strong pose and cape.

Rohrerbot said...

Plus Austin is one of the coolest cities to visit next to San Antonio!!:) Texas is BIG!

EG CameraGirl said...

Amazing cape he's wearing. Does it really get that cold in Texas?

Magpie said...

He made his stamp on Texas history for sure. What a mundane way to die, though. I don't mean that disrespectfully (for all you Texans out there) :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I ever saw a statue of him.