Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Visit to the Lily Farm


One of the largest daylily farms in the world is located just less than 10 miles from our home.  The Lily Farm has over 50,000 daylilies on a four-acre spot near Center, Texas, a sleep little town of some 5,000 residents.  The owner, Mark Carpenter (on the far left), took over the ownership and operation of the farm a few years ago from his uncle.  You can tell from his grimy clothes that he is a hands-on proprietor.

When you visit the farm during the four to six weeks it is open late each spring, you are given a collection of colored flags so you can mark the plants you may be interested in.  After your selection is made, Mark and his helper will take you for a ride in a cart to locate your flags and they will dig the plants you decide to take home.  Make your selection carefully.  These plants are not cheap.  They range in price from $20 per clump to $500!


I love to visit the Lily Farm because of the photo ops.  Mark is very pleased to have you take as many pictures as you like.  And an added bonus is, of course, all the wonderful butterflies that call this place home!


And the daylilies are absolutely spectacular!

10 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

My favorite flower to grow! I would surely pick the $500 one. :(. Lucky you.

EG CameraGirl said...

I am a big fan of daylilies and have a few in my gardens...not the $500 variety, though!

TexWisGirl said...

what a cool place! sounds like a lot of work for a few weeks of sales season. i hope they are very profitable, though.

Gail Dixon said...

What a gold mine! Yikes, $500 for a clump? Talk about sticker shock! My dad's wife took me on a daylily tour in Mississippi a few years ago when I first got my camera. All the different varieties were staggering. There are so many cool names for them, too. Great photos, Kathy! You did good. :)

Magpie said...

Wow! Those ARE some expensive flowers, but so beautiful. I'm glad that he's willing to share with photo bugs. Another gorgeous shot of a butterfly.

Suburban Girl said...

I went to a lily farm once and bought lilies. Now I seem to have a lily farm!!

Anonymous said...

What a fascinatin' place. I bet you felt like you were in heaven.

A Colorful World said...

Oh, Wow! So beautiful! I can't see all the photos, but what I can see are wonderful!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

What a great idea for "what you see is what you shop" flower farm. Great photos!

Unknown said...

Love the butterfly!