Nacogdoches is the oldest town in Texas; therefore, it is logical that its cemeteries contain the oldest graves in the state. The Old North Church Cemetery on the north edge of the city is replete with wrought ironwork. Most of it is in good shape; other fencework is failing. The following is taken from a historical marker at the entrance of the cemetery:
According to legend, the first burial in this cemetery was that of a young girl whose family, traveling through the area when she died, buried her here before continuing their westward journey. Oral tradition also suggests that William Whitaker was already interred in a brick vault by the time Richard Sparks set aside land on this site for use as a community graveyard in 1838. The Union Baptist Church (later the Old North Church) was organized in the spring of that year. The oldest marked grave is that of Saletha Easter Whitaker (d. 1845). Dr. John M. Sparks and his wife formally deeded ten acres, including the original five acres set aside by Richard Sparks, to the Union church in 1892. The cemetery historically was divided into two sections. The east side was used for the burials of local slaves, many of whom were members of the church, and eventually became a separate cemetery. Other burials of interest include those of veterans of the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Texas Revolution. Records indicate that some 47 Confederate Civil War soldiers are buried in the southern portion of the cemetery, and 21 Union soldiers are interred in unmarked graves. Most of the Union veterans were victims of an epidemic of dysentery during the Reconstruction era.
LINKING TO TAPHOPHILE TRAGICS



14 comments:
Thankyou for the kind comment on my JFK post, I found your post most interesting - so many wars to record.
I also hate the security password entry.
Hello again, Kathy.
I like the wrought iron in your photographs this week. We have a lot of that in cemeteries around Sydney.
Nacogdoches is a hard word to pronounce. I wonder what language it was originally from. Spanish of some sort. Creole perhaps.
As Peter commented, you do have a lot of wars to commemorate in Texas. What I smiled at was the Confederate dead being in the southern part of the cemetery, yet the Union dead were in unmarked graves. I suspect there is a lot of that.
Thank you for participating in Taphophile Tragics again this week. It is good to have a participant from your neck of the woods.
Great pictures. Sounds like such an interesting place to visit.
Herding Cats
http://seathreepeeo.blogspot.com
Cemeteries can be terrific places for photography. That fence certainly is rusty. I bet you found it quite quickly! Btw, you weren't the only one a little confused by my SDP "resident family" post! :) Happy Leap Day!
the rust on that fence is great for photos. i cannot imagine a cemetery lasting all those years.
So much rich history told on stone slabs. I wonder what people will say about us centuries from now? I am almost afraid to find out!
The rust and the iron just add to the history of it all. Very interesting info as well on things that seem to get lost along the way....I'm glad these markers are here to remind us of our past.
There is a lot of history in that cemetery, slaves and Civil War victims. You can see the history of your country passing by. The rust gives the graves a certain eternity.
So much history . . . people from all walks of life laid to rest there. The rusting of the iron is striking somehow fits.
One thing I enjoy about cemeteries is seeing all the unusual names. I know people think some of us, especially celebrities, give our children some rather unusual names. But I can honestly say I've never heard of Saletha before. Names that came from the "old country". :)
Beautiful photos highlighting that rusty ironwork: Very photogenic!
I love the old rusty iron railings in the graveyards...THis one has a old deep history to go along with the wrought iron!! SO many died during the Civil War it was very UNCIVIL...I do believe one of our Wallings, Col Jesse came to Nacogdoches, and is possibly buried in Texas.
Love it!
I like these old fences....
Post a Comment