Thursday, December 15, 2011

Post Office ~ Martinsville, Texas


In the 1850s Dr. John Martin, a native of Alabama, settled about 10 miles from where I live and established a large plantation.  Around 1857 he built a mill and for many years the community was known as Martin's Mill or Martin City.  When residents applied for a post office in 1867 under the name Martin's Mill, they were informed that there was already a community by that name, so the name was changed to Martinsville.  The post office operated from 1867 until 1988 when this new building was constructed.  I'm sure it's one of few log post offices in the country and I think it is absolutely delightful.  Although the Texas Historical Association only estimated Martinsville to have 126 residents in 2000 it is a crossroad of two major roads in this area and the Martinsville Independent School District serves many rural students in the area from K through 12.  Its girls' basketball team is always a major force in district and frequently statewide competition.

5 comments:

Suburban Girl said...

Wow, that is a small place (population wise.)

SRQ said...

Stunning little post office. I love finding quaint post offices like this one. What a treasure.

Anonymous said...

It's lovely. I hope it's not one scheduled to close. :-(

TexWisGirl said...

this is the new building?! how cool is that!

Magpie said...

I love your community spirit. I agree with Tracy, it would be a shame to close this post office.