Monday, December 26, 2011
And Then the Rains Came
It's been raining the past four or five days here in Deep East Texas. It's getting a bit soggy but we don't dare complain because it just may mean that our horrible drought could be coming to an end. Ponds are beginning to fill again, there is plenty of water for deer and livestock and the others critters that call our woods home. Creeks are running once more. Some are actually out of their banks for the first time in years. The rain does, however, bring down some of the autumn foliage which is still so abundant here due to our temperate climate. The oaks are finally turning - at least some varieties. They spread their leaves all along the roadsides and within a couple of days lose their brilliant color and turn brown and dry out - or get more soggy depending on the weather. I drove down this country road yesterday and didn't have time to stop for a picture so I went out again today in the rain to see what I could get before they lose their color or all blow away in the next couple of days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
oh, wow! you're getting GOOD rains! we've had overcast and gray and mist and sprinkles and some rains. they only amounted to about an inch of rainfall, though so no creeks are running here. i'm so jealous! so close and yet so far away!!!
Sweet, sweet beautiful rain for you in Texas! So glad for you all out there! Lovely image, Kathy--it draws me into the wet! May it last as long as you need it to.
I always love the change of seasons, it has its own charme. We are a little further here, no leaves on trees or streets anymore.
this is such a lovely pic! the contrast between the green and the red gives it a great look, along with the lil patch of yellow.
pretty!
Cheers,
My Third Eye
I'm glad you are finally getting some rain, Kathy. It's about time!
What gorgeous colors and I'm so happy you're getting rain!
Post a Comment