Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Squirrel Monkeys


A trip to Phoenix is never complete without a trip to one of Arizona's zoos.  The Phoenix Zoo is a wonderful experience, especially when the weather is nice like it was when I visited last week.  And of course you can't go to the Phoenix Zoo without visiting Monkey Village, where 16 squirrel monkeys entertain kids and adults every day of the year.  Notice that these dudes don't have claws.  They have fingernails just like me and you.


Generally weighing somewhere between one and a half and two pounds, these little simians are very fast and very entertaining.  Be careful and watch what you touch.  They pee on everything.  The entrance to Monkey Village has a hand-washing station as you leave!


Natives of Central and South America, these little guys seem to be right at home in Phoenix.  A visit to their village made the purchase of a 300-mm lens entirely worthwhile!

15 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Cute little buggers as well:) Very nice shots!

Andy said...

The zoo is always a fun place to get animal photos. Monkeys are like magnets to cameras.

Kerri Farley said...

Such cutie pies!
And Hurray for a new lens!!

EG CameraGirl said...

Thank goodness for hand-washing stations.

Congrats on the new lens, Kathy!

Amy Burzese said...

So cute. I love monkeys. Looking at them and taking their pictures, that is.

TexWisGirl said...

their little hands are wonderful. the peeing everywhere? not so much. :)

Gail Dixon said...

I'm always amazed at the likeness to humans these animals have. Great shots of these cuties. My germaphobia would be in full gear around them with all that peeing. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Cute little guys!

Suburban Girl said...

What cute faces. Yes, those zoom lenses are wonderful! Then if you add a teleconverter, which I do not have yet, you can extend the range even more.

Everything Changes said...

Saw one of these at the San Diego zoo. They are so cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh..great shots. Is this the place where the monkeys run overhead? And they pee??? LOL. It's been a long time since I went to the zoo. I am having 300mm Lens Envy.

Magpie said...

Hey, and I was ready to settle for a new 18-200mm lens...what's this with 300mm! :) I'm glad you got your new lens too. These shots are wonderful.

A Colorful World said...

I wish we had seen such wonderful monkeys on my trip to the Tucson zoo with our grandson a few weeks ago. You got some great photos!

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

What intense little faces! I bet they are speedy munchkins

Unknown said...

I saw many of these cuties in Costa Rica. It was always so cheerful!