Monday, October 29, 2012
Old and New in Downtown Phoenix
The Luhrs Tower, the city's first skyscraper (14 stories) looms over a new CVS Pharmacy in downtown Phoenix. The art deco building was constructed in 1929 and appeared in the background of a scene from the 1960 film Psycho. The CVS caters to a growing number of people who make their homes in the many lofts, condos and luxury apartments in the downtown area, although a grocery store is still in much need. Perhaps all those people who live there just eat in the wonderful restaurants that now dot the downtown streets. When I worked downtown back in the 1980s there were only four or five places where one could even have lunch. The wires in the upper right of the photograph are electrical lines for the light rail system which transports commuters from the central corridor and from Tempe into the heart of Phoenix. Rail lines still need to be constructed to bring the West Valley into the system.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Downtown Phoenix has certainly changed. That's a beautiful building. And now there's light rail even. I'd love to go back for a visit. I'm enjoying your pics!
The art deco architecture is one of my favorites. I think I would like to visit the 20s and 30s -- except for the depression, of course.
Did the CVS keep the Bowl sign or do they offer bowling also?? :) What a bounty of knowledge you have about the downtown architecture and history of Phoenix.
This was a trip down memory lane (with a lot of changes) for you, then!
Post a Comment