The Leon River Bridge, a one-lane wooden/concrete truss bridge is located on the outskirts of Gatesville, a small town in Central Texas. This 141-foot bridge was constructed in 1904 and has served as a major transportation link in Central Texas since that time. I met several interesting characters while walking across this bridge, all residents who stopped to chat and surmise who the gray-haired lady stranger was who wore a weird-looking apparatus around her neck and occasionally pulled it up to her face in front of her eyes.
On one side of the bridge resides another truss system to escort a pipeline across the river.
Center City was proudly proclaimed to be the geographic center of the state of Texas in the 1870s. It probably still is but there's not much left of it. This old store and the windmill and a couple of rundown trailers is about all that's left. There supposedly is an ancient oak tree which was planted right in the center of the biggest darned state in the union (at that time!) but maybe it died before I got there because I couldn't find it at the four-corner stop which represents Center City.

7 comments:
love the shot with the windmill peaking out from the armpit of that old building. :)
Amazing all that must have happened once upon a time in this little town. Love the bridge.
I like the 3 pics but the last name is my favorite for sure!
It looks like something you would see in a movie.
I always enjoy looking at your photos Kathy!
Great history. Wonderful photos .
Have a wonderful night also.
Some interesting shots of the bridge and surroundings here.
Love the texture and composition of the photos, Kathy! :)
What a great find...an abandoned center city.
Post a Comment