Sunday, June 19, 2011
Hibiscus
We have a whole flower bed dedicated to the Dinner Plate Hibiscus, and, yes, the blossoms are the size of dinner plates. The ones we have are either pale pink, a medium pink like the one shown, and a dark red. They are my mother's favorites of our flowers. I personally like the smaller varieties with double blossoms, but I must admit these guys are the showiest of them all. Whoever stops by oohs and aahs over them. They are so big they are actually visible 50 yards up the road. My mother picked this particular one and brought it inside and floated it in a bowl of water. It made a very pretty and unique centerpiece.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
it's beautiful. if you look at it rather abstractly, it looks like a silk parachute or a hot air balloon deflating.
Stunning.. Love the detail and color
Yes, it would be time for our hibiscus to bloom now, but unfortunately they didn't appear this year. I love your shot with the strong color and texture.
I love these, too. Ours don't bloom until August tho. So papery thin and delicate, they only last a few days.
Would you believe that these hibiscus are actually hardy enough to grow in my Canadian garden. They are showstoppers for sure! I always feel like I'm living in a tropical oasis when they bloom. Of course that won't happen for many more weeks yet.
This is a great photo, Kathy!
That is gorgeous!! Hibiscus always remind me of going to my aunt's house when I was a child. She had a big bush by her front porch, and I thought it was pretty. Strange how certain things stick with us and the memory is triggered unexpectedly!
Hope the fires don't get any closer to your place. Hopefully, we will get some showers this week; it's extremely dangerous, hot and dry here, too.
What a gorgeous flower! I love bringing flowers inside. They always bring a smile to my face.
Stunning!
Wow, I can't imagine a flower that large!
Post a Comment