I have spent the last two days with a handyman doing some spruce-up things on my property, one of which was getting the lawn put back together after having been gone for almost a month. I had been outside innumerable times, took a trip to the famous home supply place for stuff (in a non-airconditioned vehicle, mind you) and I finally got to the point of feeling slightly nauseous, a bit clammy, sweating profusely even though I was in the house with the temperature registering 76 degrees. I couldn't seem to get rid of the dry feeling in my mouth. I had taken a shower and started drinking water (100 ounces in a little under two hours) and my body still craved more. I mentioned to Sam, the handyman, that I did not feel well and I could not come back outside to answer any of his questions or to help out. He said if I had some potato chips I should chow down on them because they are very high in both sodium and potassium. 11 chips equal 9 percent of your daily requirement of potassium.
Who can eat only 11 chips? Not me! I LOVE potato chips. And even though I try to practice a low-salt diet I know that sodium is necessary to make the body crave water in times of dehydration. I ate a big bowl of potato chips, drank more water, and in a short while I felt good again.
Just wanted to share this little tip with my blogger friends. I am so pleased to find this healthy reason for indulging in a bowl of potato chips!
Thanks, Sam!


7 comments:
Happy to hear you're feeling better! I've never heard of the potato chip remedy -- very interesting. I'm glad Sam was there for you.
Wow! I'll have to share this with my husband. He works a lot outside and right now it has been getting up to about 105 degrees in Oklahoma. He is good about drinking lots of water and taking breaks though. He loves chips and salsa so this will be a good excuse to eat more!
Those are all the classic signs of dehydration. I only know because I just asked the doctor during my mom's visit on Wednesday. I'm so glad you were able to get enough fluids in you to feel better. I also know once this happens you need to be extra careful because you will be more suseptible to it in the future. Take care and stay in today!
You never know where help comes from.
By the way, thank you for the tip with the fairies under the mushrooms, Initially. I had not the intention to post it, but with your help in the comment, I did.
Glad you recovered quickly! I'll remember the potato chip remedy, which really makes sense.
Potato chips were one of the first things I was encouraged to chow down on after my marathon. Well those and protein. And, it was because of the potassium. Sam gave you a good tip and I am glad you were quickly on the mend.
potato chips for dehydration?! that a new one for me, anyway im glad your ok.
Post a Comment