Friday, August 13, 2010

Billy


No, Billy is not part of the 100 Strangers Project.  He was way too friendly.  Billy lives on the farm of one of my mom's neighbors (the one who has been responsible for providing all the barnyard animals that have been featured recently on this blog and also the Kathy Goes a Ramblin' site.)  You may think he's pretty cute but before you start thinking about bringing one like him home to your back yard, you might be interested to know that when billies (or bucks as the males are sometimes called) are in rut, they urinate on their beards and front legs (that's why his beard seems to have a slightly yellow tinge).  It seems that the does are attracted to the smell.  The minute I walked into the goat pen, Billy did his thing and then kept trying to rub up against me.  It didn't take me long to go back to the chicken coop!  If you're wondering about the little spiral on the top of his head, Billy was dehorned as a kid.  The horns continued to develop for a while but never fully matured, so he has a little unique headdress but one that is not dangerous.

5 comments:

Glenda said...

Interesting fellow! I didn't know about the beard/smelly thing! Ugh!

SRQ said...

Nature is strange indeed! I'd head for the chicken coop too to avoid Billy's amorous ways. Nice shot of him -- he definitely looks like he has an eye for you.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Didn't notice the horns until you mentioned 'em. And when I saw "Billy" as your title, I thought "A little kid here"? Good one on me!
He still has his eye on you, it appears!

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Oh, nice. I have a new dislike for Billy goats now. LOL

Magpie said...

Now we know why Billy Goats can be Gruff!