Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Christ Church ~ San Augustine, Texas


Mrs. Frances C. Henderson, wife of the first governor of the state of  Texas (J. Pinckney Henderson ~ Feb. 1846 ~ December 1847) was instrumental in founding this Episcopal Church in San Augustin, the town known as the cradle of Texas Independence.  In 1848 the Rev. Henry Samson was sent to do missionary work, but unfortunately, his first service was the burial of his oldest child, who died of scarlet fever the day after the family arrived.  The child's remains are interred under the church altar.

The original church building was constructed in 1851 but was devastated by a storm in 1859.  Saved were a few of the interior artifacts, including the rails and the hand-hewn pews, which were placed in the new structure some 11 years later in 1870 and remain through today.  The Gothic tower was added in 1891 to relieve the building strain caused by the vibration of the bell.

This little church sits on the most beautiful grounds I've ever seen.  The day this picture was taken was quite hazy and I hope to return to San Augustin in the not too distant future and perhaps get a better, brighter shot.

Visit the San Augustin cemetery at my Project 365 blog.

6 comments:

Magpie said...

This is an absolutely beautiful picture. I don't see how you could improve on it. Gorgeous.

Birdman said...

Sooooooo white! Nice shot.

Carol said...

Beautiful photo, Kathy, in a lovely setting. I would like to take a peek inside. (I don't know what that vintage equipment is in front of the barn...but I'm sure its not used today)

Glenda said...

There's just something about a white country church! This one is just beautiful - and so well kept. If those walls could talk, we hear some amazing stories!

Tes said...

Hi Kathy, you have captured the church beautifully. It looks so quaint and romantic. I can feel it's solemnity. Love the grounds too, it looks cool with all those shades. :)

SRQ said...

What a find! You captured this adorable church quite well. Just looking at the picture, I feel the serenity of the church and grounds.