Sunday, August 8, 2010

10/100 Strangers ~ Cecil


I met Cecil while I was browsing around the little town of San Augustine, Texas, one Saturday afternoon during a recent trip back to my roots.  He was picking up so much laundry and dry cleaning that I was sure he was probably an employee of the local cleaners near his parked vehicle.  But no, he was just getting his wardrobe in place for the coming week.  Saturday is a big day in Cecil's schedule because he is part of C-Dog & Sons Disco Road Show and they provide entertainment in various genres (blues, gospel, rap, R&B, oldies and Zydeco) at parties, weddings, reunions, or just anyplace people gather to have a good time.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with Zydeco, it is a music medium which evolved in Southwest Louisiana in the early 19th century from forms of Creole music. The rural Creoles of Southwest Louisiana and Southeast Texas still sing in Louisiana Creole French.  I wish I could have photo'd Cecil at work but since that was impossible he agreed to pose in front of a vine-covered red brick building.  An extremely polite gentleman in a white starched shirt, he works during the week for a large poultry company.  Thank you Cecil for being No. 10!

8 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I like Cecil's smile. I wonder if he smiles a lot at work. If so, I bet the audience LOVES him.

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

SIMPLY AN EXCELLENT PORTRAIT...PORTRAIT, FOR ME, NEEDS FEELINGS, EMOTIONS, MESSAGE...

Congrats....And I have read his story...marvelous...I wish he contines smiling..today, tomorrow..and as say the swedish PÅ FRAMTID...

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Cecil was hard at work! Wonderful photos you have on this blog.

Magpie said...

I wish you could have seen him at work too. That would have been a fun evening I'm sure!

Maia T said...

What an excellent portrait Kathy, even the sweat drops are so clearly visible. He was kind to let you take the photo.

Michelle said...

Every time I see a stranger that looks interesting I always think of you and your project. I really need to get up the nerve to start it.

SRQ said...

Nice capture of his perspiration soaked forehead...and that's before he's tapping his feet & working his musical side. By the way, I love zydeco -- good stuff!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting face!!! Love it!