Thursday, August 12, 2010

Whale Bas Relief


There is a building at 3rd or 4th Avenue and Van Buren here in Phoenix (I know I'm switching between Arizona and Texas these days!) that sports this whale bas relief all along the side.  It was in all probability built in the 1920s and who knows why someone decided to portray a whale in a desert building.  But I found it fascinating, and the various sculptures run parallel to the vintage parking meter shown in yesterday's photo.

3 comments:

Life Is A Road Trip said...

At least you tell us where we are. LOL. Yeah, a whale in the desert is certainly a fish out of water!

Magpie said...

How unusual! Wonder if we can find out what the signifigance is. He kinda has a ferocious look to him.

Autumn Belle said...

A fascinating capture! This whale seem to have a big head and fierce look.