Wednesday, August 15, 2012
I went to Italy!
Italy, Texas, that is! Of course here it's pronounced IT-lee and it has no ties as far as anyone knows to that wonderful country on the European continent. The postmaster in 1880 simply gave the town its name because he imagined the climate was similar to that of Italy.
My greatest find in Italy was this wonderful old truck, parked out of the sun under a cover. But rust is still a four-letter word.
There are about 1800 Eye-TAL-yuns (what else could I call them - It-lee-ites?) living in this sleepy little town about 50 miles due south of Dallas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
Now, that's an interesting story. And another great working man relic.
Pretty cool - the rusty photos, that is. Love viewing this sleepy little town via your camera.
Every time I'd see that sign on the highway I wanted to explore! But you did it for me. Thank you! Loving that old truck. It's even parked under that ramshackle structure as though it still needs protecting. Great images!
It-lee-ites! You crack me up! What a find and what a reason to give a town it's name.
you drive all that way to find a precious rust-bucket. :) LOVE the 3rd shot. :)
Love all these! Of course old buildings and vehicles, no matter the condition are right up my alley these days. You really got some good shots on your trip.
Love the shots:) Love the history behind the town's name. He thought it was like the Italian climate so why not?:) How times have changed. Love your shots. As for the folk there, I wonder if they have the same fashion senses? I'm guessing maybe not?:)
I especially love that last shot... 'cars washed,' says the ghost writing!
Love every shot! Great find, Kathy.
Wondeful shots! I doubt they served good pizza. :-)
What a great truck!! And I love that sign - is it a coca cola sign? IT doesn't look like that would belong there but the writing is similar.
Funny about the town! Great photos, too, of a time past, though rust is as you say a sad thing. There is a little town not far from my Mom back in Virginia named Zuni, but they pronounce it Zoo-Nigh. Not Zu-Nee like it is pronounced here, representing, of course, a prominent Indian tribe. In Alabama where I am from originally there is a little town named Arab, but it is pronounced Ay-rab, like "Ahab the Arab" (if you recall that silly song!) :-)
Post a Comment