Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Corsicana Library Mural
This huge mural on the side of the Corsicana, Texas, Library, is a tribute to the now razed Carnegie Library which was built in that city in 1904. The original cost was $25,000, which put it in the middle range of the 32 Carnegie Libraries constructed in Texas. Even though the building was demolished in 1967 it lives on in this beautiful mural painted in 1998 by Brad Smith, a resident of Burleson, Texas.
The detail in the lower left, much like a cartouche found in certain paintings, is called "The Book Return." The boy and the dog are life-sized.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
very grand.
That is an impressive piece of art:)
Wow, that is amazing!
Razing old buildings of beauty makes me sad. It seems Europe can preserve theirs, but over here we just plow them down and put up something ugly!
A beautiful mural. Love the little boy and the dog carrying the books! Just great!
That little dog carrying the books in his mouth is precious! What a cool way to memorialize this historic building.
Depicting a life I can only imagine.
What an amazing mural! Really, really pretty! I am so happy they have it to commemorate the library.
It is a wonderfully done mural. Why did they raze the building?
I love the little dog carrying the books. A beautiful mural. On another subject: Ants! I read somewhere that putting grits, uncooked of course, around where there are ants will get rid of them. They eat the grits and I think they swell up and die. Doesn't sound too pleasant for the ants, but may work for you. I haven't tried it, so I can't guarantee it.
I love the murals in different towns across our nation. We have several here in Washington. One town Toppenish Wa. has 72 murals and they all tell a great story.MB
Post a Comment