Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Weaving House ~ Melrose Plantation


The Association for the Preservation of Historic Natchitoches   has undertaken the careful restoration of the eight structures composing the Melrose complex. In 1971, in the interest of maintaining Melrose as a monument to Louisiana history, Southdown Land Company, the owner of the plantation at that time, conveyed the property and complex of buildings to the Association for the Preservation of Historic Natchitoches. Since that time the organization has undertaken the careful restoration of the eight structures comprising the Melrose complex.  In 1974, the Cane River plantation was declared a National Historic Landmark.

A large loom was located in the weaving house where slaves created quilts and other textiles, many with African designs, for use on the plantation. 

I've been attempting more photographs in black and white and I couldn't decide which version I liked best, so I give them both to you. 

 

7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

a very cool old building. the B&W definitely works on this one, but i like the color treatment too.

Anonymous said...

I love this... so rustic... you've captured it's character well!

Magpie said...

I think I like the B&W better in this case. Looks like it could have been taken a hundred years ago.

Birdman said...

Looks a bit like 'the house that Jack built'. I love the both of them.

Suburban Girl said...

What a cute place. I like the color version of this one.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I like them both, too!

Lara said...

Tough call.... I think I like the B/W better.