Friday, October 21, 2011
Melrose Plantation
South of Natchitoches (pronounced nakka-tush), Louisiana, in the heart of the Cane River Creole National Historical Park sits Melrose, a unique Southern plantation in that it was established by a freed black slave, Marie Therese Coincoin, in the late 1700s. Many of the Creole descendants of Marie Therese (1742-1816) still live along the banks of the Cane River in this area. There is some controversy over the history of the ownership and the dates of construction of various buildings and I would simply invite you, if you are interested, to read two brief histories found at the embedded links. The history is indeed fascinating. The original plantation house still sits on the property and the pictured main house was constructed in 1833. The large live oak tree in front of the house is believed to be in excess of 250 years old. Over the coming days and weeks I will try to sprinkle in a few pictures of Melrose and the city of Natchitoches.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Does someone still live in this grand home?
What a Southern Beauty this place is. Mint Julep, anyone?
i love that Africa house. so neat.
A beauty. If that large live oak is indicative of anything, I bet the grounds are lovely.
Thanks for the correct pronunciation of Natchitoches. For sure I have been saying it in my head very WRONG.
That's a very impressive building!
What a lovely old building! So much history behind it as well.
very nice photo.
Stunning house. WOW.
Post a Comment