Saturday, October 22, 2011

Melrose Live Oaks


Live oak trees are the focal point of the landscaping at Melrose Plantation.  As mentioned in yesterday's post, they are believed to be at least 250 years old.  Many of the branches are in excess of 100 feet long.  If you're wondering where is the Spanish moss, groundskeepers keep it pulled from the branches since it was found to harbor nests of redbugs (mites) which were biting the guests!

7 comments:

Sarah Knight said...

Wow, that's an old tree!

TexWisGirl said...

how interesting! i bet the groundskeepers get bitten plenty,then.

Anonymous said...

Now that's my kind of Melrose Place!

Magpie said...

Quintessential southern style. I can't imagine something that's been alive for 250 years.

Suburban Girl said...

Wow, you accentuated that huge branch nicely. It is a tree in itself!

Rohrerbot said...

Love this shot. Speaking of getting bit up!!! I was attacked the other day while I was trying to string up some solar lights. My arms look terrible. I couldn't believe the pain that these little no see ums caused.

Lara said...

Gorgeous tree! Yikes on the mites!