Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fence No. 22 ~ Bamboo


Many zoos, climate permitting, grow the plants that are used to help feed their animals.  The Phoenix Zoo, with plenty of irrigation, can grow lots of bamboo which provides food and habitat and even fencing!

27 comments:

Rose said...

This is sure unique! I like it.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

me & the hubs love bamboo. at the house he lived at when we 1st met. it was every where. like a huge forest of nothing but bamboo. it was so cool!! (:

Carletta said...

This has a very Zen-like feel to it. :)
Hubby and I passed a stand of bamboo just the other day when we were out driving. It grows tall and straight here.

TexWisGirl said...

neat! i was wondering where this would have been!

Gail Dixon said...

So cool! I love that the zoo is using bamboo this way. I like the "x" of the stalks here. :)

Glenda said...

I like this unusual fence; it makes a striking picture!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Lovely shot of this very Zen fence, Kathy!

PS: Yes, Texas reminded us a lot of Australia when we visited.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Bamboo makes for some nice fencing.

Everything Changes said...

"LIKE"

Brian King said...

Love the bamboo, Kathy! It's not often you see that.

Linda said...

I love bamboo as fencing, or as building materials...but I never want to grow it - it is so invasive! This is a gorgeous fence!

Tanya Breese said...

makes a pretty fence but impossible to get rid of once you get it growing!

Anonymous said...

Nice. I bet there is a panda lurking around somewhere.

Magpie said...

Have people carved their names in this? Is that what I'm seeing? Sad.
There is something very tranquil about bamboo.

Clytie said...

Bamboo is such a versatile plant! I hadn't even noticed the names carved into the stalks until I read what Magpie wrote!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

When I see bamboo, I always think of cane fishing poles- it does make a nice fence though!

A Colorful World said...

Awesome photo! We had a problem last fall, Kathy, with some inexperienced zoo helpers feeding oleander to the giraffes! One died and one was sick for a while. It was sad.

biebkriebels said...

We have lots of bamboo in our backyard but no animals to eat it unfortunately. So we had to cut some down to have a new fence, because the old one had fallen apart. But it wasn't easy to get the bamboo away, it is deep in the ground...

Faye said...

Bamboo is a wonderful natural fencing but not one your neighbors would appreciate your installing, especially if any of the canes take root. A real plant thug, I believe?

Ebie said...

I love it! It has all the elements of a great photo!

Bamboo has lots of uses!

SRQ said...

I like how you blended the living trees with the bamboo fence. Nice!

Nature in the Burbs said...

Very good! Bamboo is great.

Dianne said...

makes for a beautiful fence

Unknown said...

Lovely composition of live and dead bamboo.

Kim, USA said...

Hi Kathy, in the Philippines bamboo can also be a house. In the rural areas they split and clean the bamboo. It takes a lot of bamboos but the result it is a house which many of the people there call home. ^_^


Friday Fences

gtyyup said...

Yes, it does make a lovely fence. I didn't realize how invasive bamboo was until I glanced through the comments...kinda reminds me of berry briers!

I use dried bamboo poles to gentle wild mustang horses too.

EG CameraGirl said...

Love the angles created by the growing bamboo.