Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Streetscape ~ Logansport, Louisiana


Several of you commented on the previous post about Logansport being a ghost town or at least dying.  Yes, many of America's small towns are dying as jobs no longer support families and the rural villages give way to urban sprawl.  But how can any town who exhibits a rodeo cowboy suspended by wires on the main drag or who has a beautiful rusty old truss bridge that the train still crosses four times a day (at least!) across a wide, magnificent river that marks the boundary between two states be called a ghost town?  Maybe tomorrow, but not today!

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

what a great place and wonderful image!

Birdman said...

They must be on 'slow time' here at least. Fabulous images almost frozen in time.

dona said...

Kathy, I do love your photos, the mood inside them, the places portraied. I want to visit this America someday.

Magpie said...

Yeehaw! Ride 'em cowboy. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm glad it's still alive and kicking, Kathy! This photo doesn't have any people in it but I get the feeling they have been there recently.

Rohrerbot said...

It's really sad. My hometown in Wisconsin has lost a lot of residents. It was a great place to grow up. I've written a post with pics that will be presented in two months about the disappearing small town. It's hard to see the poverty and changes. A lot of history is getting torn down....and a lot of it used to be places that I hung out. Really sad stuff.

Kim, USA said...

And I wonder where all the people go? Your photos are awesome, like it!

PETRO50 said...

Greetings to Texas. Kathy, thank you for your comment to the windows. Your photos have a soul. I am interested. I read your text. So it is with small towns and villages especially in the country. People work hard to find and migrate to larger cities. In a way, the village of "dying". Many regional railways were canceled. People have less connection with the cities. It's in places where railways are profiting and found sponsors. I call these old train tracks loved. Have a beautiful day and good light for photography. Many greetings sends Peter.

magiceye said...

indeed!

Suburban Girl said...

Love the rodeo rider! Looks fun.

Lara said...

Great shots and there's a great coffee table book called Vanishing America where photographers have captured these kinds of shots throughout the country.