Jerome, Arizona
The town of Jerome is constructed on terraces that stair-step up the side of a mountain. It was actually a mining ghost town until a few years ago when it was first repopulated by a motorcycle gang, then a group of flower children, then a clan of artists, all of which helped it return to its previous splendor and is now a wonderfully historic artsy-craftsy type of place that is fun to visit. I spotted this doorway cut into the stucco on one of the walls that holds up the terrace system. There didn't seem to be anywhere to go even if you had nerve enough to walk through the door. It was a little spooky and if there was a corridor to the left and the right I didn't have the gutsiness to even peek down that way. It seemed to be a doorway simply cut into the wall with another piece of rock behind it, a door to nowhere.


15 comments:
um, yeah, i wouldn't be sneaking in there either. :)
Wonderful color and composition. I'm so jealous of your trip shots.
Hmmm. Given the town's history, it could have been many things originally" a real ghost might live there (kidding I think), a place to keep motor cycles, a spot to store vegetables...
I have been to Jerome to see the artsy/crafty places BUT no one told me the history of it (or maybe I wasn't listening). How amazing that it has risen from ghost town to thriving artists' colony!
Yes, I definitely ned to go to Jerome after you show another interest-filled shot.
nellie
It does look both a bit dangerous and definitely spooky! Just my kind of place.
Ooooo....I love Jerome!!! What a treat! That's really a great pic. It's such an interesting little town. Thanks for sharing.
That's what you call a dead end right there!
Wonderful post Kathy. I like this door to nowhere. It seems symbolic of certain moments in one's life where decisions lead to deadends. But, then you try another doorway and hope for better results.
Neat shot! Interesting door, Jerome is supposed to quite haunted so this door adds to that mystique!
Ooh, great, spooky capture--it begs to be in a story.
Love this . . . reminds me that we need to watch out for doors like that!
I've been to Jerome but missed this door :)! Great composition and color! What processing did you use on it? It really enhances the worn, vintage feel of the photo.
Thanks for visiting my E collage.
I'm not familiar with Jerome, AZ, but this photo, your description and several of the comments have me completely intrigued! Artists and ghosts and mysterious little chambers cut into stucco walls - I must see this place! I really wonder what this doorway's history is. Beautiful photo, Terrie is right that it has a real worn, vintage feel, goes great with the subject matter.
Interesting indeed!
When we were kids (about 65 years ago!!) we would have approached this door, egged others into looking/going into it and then hit out for the other side of the street , , ,fast!
Wonderful photography, I read your posts on Brenda's AZ so this is my first visit to you.
Cheers,
Jo in MN
Post a Comment