Saturday, April 23, 2011
Opera House ~ Henderson, Texas ~ Haunted?
Many small towns in Texas had opera houses around the turn of the century. This beautiful refurbished example is located in Henderson, Texas, population 12,000 and county seat of Rusk County. Built in 1885, irregular performances were held until 1918 when the building was sold to new owners who operated a general mercantile business. The second floor galley was partitioned as offices in the 1930s. Today the Henderson Civic Theatre holds seasonal performances. There is also a local legend that the Opera House is haunted. The story goes that at one time the third floor (although you just read that it's a two-story building!) was occupied by a doctor and a young woman named Daphne died while in labor in the doctor's office (which also seems a bit farfetched). Some believe that her ghost wanders throughout the building.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Interesting tale... GREAT building.
I really like the old Texas buildings you post. This is wonderful.
it's lovely whether it is 'spirited' or not. :)
A multi-purpose building! So if I am to believe this two story building actually has three floors then I guess I can believe it has a ghost... or maybe not.
And here I thought Texans just had hootenannies.
I would love to venture inside. Looks like a wonderful place to take pictures inside and out.
Oh, don't stories like that just grab you! It's a gorgeous building.
I love this building. I would love to go inside too. I think ghost stories related to houses/buildings often seem a little far fetched. Maybe the stories grow as time passes.
Post a Comment