Sunday, April 17, 2011
Chas. Hoya Land Office ~ Nacogdoches, Texas
The Chas. Hoya Land Office sits adjacent to the plaza square in historic downtown Nacogdoches. The historical marker posted on the front (left side of photograph) reads as follows: Built in 1897 by Charles Hoya (1848-1926), son of Prussian immigrant Joseph T. von der Hoya, and long-time Nacogdoches County surveyor. Designed by Houston architect Frank E. Rue in Victorian style with gothic revival details, this was the first fireproof building in Nacogdoches and served as a model for other local structures. After Hoya's death, the land office business continued under the management of son-in-law J. Roy Gray until his death in 1966. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974.
There are 114 historical markers in Nacogdoches County.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
I only wish we had these types of structures around here. I wish I had more opportunity to travel the US.
Great that this building has survived! Fire-proof is good, very good.
Wonderful image and presentation of local history. Everywhere you look there is an interesting story!
what an awesome building! can you imagine officing there? i'd love it!!!
What a great old brick building.
What a great looking building and well captured Kathy.
I love the building and would enjoy making it into a sweet little home for myself. But your title brings to mind something I've often thought about. How come men get all the neat names you can abbreviate...like Chas. or Thos. or Wm.? I can't think of any women's names that are like that.
I just love this building! I particularly like the extra brick that was used for the signage above the roof.
Kathy - ALL your photos tell me that I want to pack my bags and come for a photo-shoot visit. Before it gets HOT!
Nacogdoches sure has terrific buildings! I can imagine a cowboy shoot out in front of this one. Well, not a real shoot out...just for fun.
Post a Comment