Friday, February 18, 2011

Mary Allen Seminary ~ Crockett, Texas


All that remains of the Mary Allen Seminary is this lonely burned-out building sitting high atop a hill at the edge of town in Crockett, Texas.  Named for the wife of the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Mary Allen, it was established in 1886, although the school originally had operated under another name since 1871.  It originally was a school for black girls, but eventually admitted male students and in 1944 became a four-year liberal arts institution.  It closed in 1972.  Once the site of a 12-building campus, it sits as a reminder of the proud heritage of Texas’ black population.

9 comments:

SouthernSass said...

Beautiful processing of this proud old building!

bonifer said...

Beautiful old building, what memories it holds !!

Mersad said...

Stunning!! Love the creepy factor of this.

T. Becque said...

Great! I like the "paper" effect of the photo and complete ruin this building is in.

Magpie said...

So much history. I love the windows. Too bad the other buildings aren't still there.

Birdman said...

I'm surprised it hasn't tumbled. Amazing image though. Nice one!

biebkriebels said...

It is an amazing building, mysterious with all the empty windows.

Stephani Cochran said...

I love old buildings, especially those with a story.

Suburban Girl said...

It makes for interesting photos but it's sad to see the history fade away.