Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jonquils

The jonquil is a member of the Narcissus family.  There are many varieties of this bulb, a smaller and less showy cousin of the daffodil.  They are prolific in East Texas in the spring along roadsides, in flower gardens, and they linger long after homes and their inhabitants are but a memory.  Whenever you see clumps of jonquils growing in the country, it's a sure bet that in days gone by there was a home in that spot.  This particular variety grows as  cluster of half-dollar sized blossoms on one stem and are frequently called Sweeties because of their sweet aroma.  The jonquil has a shade of yellow named for it and is also the birth flower of the month of March.

7 comments:

Magpie said...

I love all the spring flowers, but jonquils and daffodils are a favorite. When I lived in Ohio, we had them growing in the woods behind us where once a house had stood. They're kinda like guardians of the past...sweet reminders of what has been.

tracy said...

I am going to call this photo Narcissism...

SRQ said...

Very pretty flowers and photo. Well done. I like that they're off center. And, being against a dark background really makes them pop.

Mersad said...

Wonderful!!

Jeannette StG said...

I don't think I've ever seen this narcissus -so elegant!

Suburban Girl said...

Very dainty.

Lara said...

Gorgeous!